Thursday, August 1, 2013

Classic Picture Book of the Day: My Friend Rabbit

Classic Picture Book of the Day:  My Friend Rabbit, written and illustrated by Eric Rohmann



I recently had the pleasure of taking part in the ALSC member profile for the ALSC blog.  One of the questions asked was "What is your favorite Caldecott book?"  I have so many favorites (Where the Wild Things Are, The Snowy Day, Kitten's First Full Moon, others), but I have a personal connection to Rohmann's wondrous, slapstick-packed tale of a well-meaning rabbit who always causes problems for his mouse friend.  When I first saw this book I predicted it would win the Caldecott.  And at a library-related reception, months before the award was announced, I made my prediction to Mr. Rohmann himself (whom I had just met).  He was completely surprised by my prediction.  After the Caldecott winner was announced that morning, we spoke and I laughed and said "told you so."  It was very cool.  Personal anecdote aside, this book simply rocks--not only as a one-on-one book, but also incredibly well as a storytime favorite.  Yes, it seems simple at first glance but those woodcuts, upon further inspection, are actually quite intricate.  Every time I go through the book it feels like an advenutre--the plane goes into the tree, mouse cries, rabbit helps by dragging an assortment of animals much larger than him to make a tower.  After the tower of animals tumbles, it looks pretty grim for rabbit but mouse comes to save the day.  What's great about the book, other than its effortless artistic quality, is it has a great sense of humor.  Note that the hippo sleeps through the entire escapade for example. 

    

No comments: