Monday, August 4, 2014

Cats and Dogs: 2 Fun Furry Picture Books

Cats Are Cats, written and illustrated by Valeri Gorbachev.  This silly delight introduces Miss Bell, a cat lover first seen purchasing a brand new orange and black striped kitten from Pet Land.  She names this "little" and impossibly cute feline Tiger.  They enjoy playing games together and watching TV.  With one surprising turn of the page, suddenly the tiny kitty has become, well, an enormous tiger.  Gorbachev's hilarious timing with that moment even startles Miss Bell, who responds to Tiger's growth spurt and ginormous Tiger roar by hiding in the closet.   Her fear subsides and her love becomes unconditional even as he makes horrible messes.  The story offers a lovely twist (and a bit of suspense) when our bespectacled heroine picks up some fish at the pet store for the delighted-looking tiger (I love the concerned looks on the onlookers' faces).  Are these fish playmates or tonight's meal?  And what's up with that funny-looking gray and white fish that looks different from the other goldfish in the bags?  Bound to become a storytime favorite.

I'm My Own Dog, written and illustrated by David Ezra Stein.  I had the pleasure of getting a first-hand look at Stein's latest at a conference.  I couldn't stop laughing in a hysterical way that reminded me how hard I laughed when I first read Stein's Caldecott Honor book Interrupting Chicken.  In this sly book, the average dog/owner relationship is wittily switched:  our very confident canine hero tells how it meets a rather hapless human adult male.  The guy begs the dog for companionship and our titular character acquiesces, letting the mustached dude hang out with him.  However, the dog has to put up with a  lot of problems:  the guy makes horrible messes and craves constant attention.  Stein's distinct humorous drawings playfully capture a memorable and topsy turvy pet relationship.  I love how the dog is drawn--when it says "I'm my own dog" you believe it.  But the furry fellow also has a gruff warmth and charm that wins you over as well.  Hey, I would ask this pooch to adapt me too!


No comments: