Thursday, November 20, 2014

Picture Book of the Day: Hunters of the Great Forest

Hunters of the Great Forest, illustrated by Dennis Nolan.  In this charming wordless delight that reminded me a bit of The Borrowers, a bunch of tiny people embark on what looks to be a dramatic quest.  What is the purpose of their journey?  Nolan keeps us in suspense.  The diminutive townsfolk see the brave hunters off on the very first spread (I love the various hairstyles and attire).  I enjoyed Nolan's use of perspective as these intrepid (and rather adorable) heroes encounter and overcome obstacles (a rocky terrain, animals that grow scarier on every spread--love the evil chipmunk!).  As nighttime approaches, we finally see the treasure they have been seeking and it's a...hey, I wouldn't dream of spoiling the surprise!  All I can say is it leads to an ending that satisfies and also makes you just a little hungry.  And I dig the final image! 

No comments: