Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Picture Book of the Day: I Won

I Won, written and illustrated by Ruth Wielockx.  This fast-paced import (translated from the Dutch) shows a bunch of girls and boys engaged in one wild race, driving a wide variety of vehicles.  Just when one kid pulls ahead in, say, a tricycle, another child zooms past on a scooter.  Young readers will love the vast array of vehicles:  a jeep, a quad bike (!), a cool bus covered with flower paintings.  I love the design of this book:  the vibrant illustrations pop off the page, the name of each new vehicle is in bold letters, and each spread has a solid, bright backdrop.  Those familiar with my blog know that I love surprise endings, and this title has a great one.  How are these pint-sized characters driving fire trucks and planes?   All is revealed on a charming, surprising final spread.

No comments: